OH-EM, O.P.M.

HEADS WILL NEVER BE ERASED

"Music can change the world because it can change people" - Bono, Main Vocalist of U2
    Nowadays, we Filipinos always want to hear foreign music from well-known international artists such as Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, and Fall Out Boy. I listen to foreign songs most of the time, to be honest. This makes me sad in a way that some of our fellow countrymen, including me, tend to choose them over our very own artists, and music. However, OPM is still the best for me because of Eraserheads. I guess every Filipino know them.

    I was in grade one when I started listening to the Beatles who are known for their chemistry and songs. My favorite song of the said band is "All Together Now," since it was the first song I heard from their album, the Yellow Submarine because my dad is a fan of them during that time. But, I got bored with their music since I always listen to it almost everyday when I come home from school. After three years, when I was in grade four, I decided to listen to Original Pilipino Music for my ear to hear some good songs made by Filipinos. 

    Eraserheads or E-heads was a Filipino rock band formed during the 1990s with four members all from the State University namely, Ely Buendia, Raimund Marasigan, Buddy Zabala, and Marcus Adoro. However, there were some issues that their lead vocalist, Ely, started recording his own songs, and Marasigan already had his second band and recording separately from the group too. Halfway the year 2002, for some unknown reasons, Buendia left the band. Eraserbands are also known as the Beatles of the Philippines. My three most favorite songs from their bands are Ang Huling El Bimbo, Pare Ko, and With a Smile. After the band broke-up, on March 7, 2009 they held their Final Set concert. According to Ely, they are not doing this for the MONEY but for the fans who remained loyal through the years.
Coladilla, A. (2009). Eraserheads concert - the final set [Photograph].
Retrieved on December 05, 2013 from
 http://azraelsmerryland.blogspot.com/2009/03/eraserheads-concert-final-set-full_09.html


ANG HULING EL BIMBO 1995, Cutterpillow
- I find this song creepy because of its music video and the lyrics. It is a story of a man who had a childhood crush but did not tell it to her. When they got older, the man heard a news that her childhood lover passed a way in a tragic way in a means of hit and run. What makes it much creepier is when the body of a woman rose from dead leaves. But, I still listen to this because it reminds me of my childhood days.
    EraserheadsVEVO. (2009). Ang huling el bimbo [Video file]. Retrieved on December 01, 2013


PARE KO 1993, Ultraelectromagneticpop!
- This song is a funny one for me because it is a story of a guy who has feelings for a college girl but he was not able to tell it to her because he was torpe - term used to guys who cannot tell their true feelings to a girl. This song was covered by Spongecola and Parokya ni Edgar which are two of the best bands in the Philippine Music Industry in the 2000s, until now.
Criss, M. (2009). Pare ko [Video file]. Retrieved on December 01, 2013

WITH A SMILE 1994, Circus
This song is the most memorable of my three most favorite songs because during my last year in high school, our class performed this in front of the whole high school department. It also makes me smile especially when I am feeling down because hearing this song makes me feel comfortable and smiling means positive progress and it gives me a great feeling.
EraserheadsVEVO. (2009). With a smile [Video file]. Retrieved on December 01, 2013

*Currently, Ely Buendia is with his own band named, Pupil; Raimund Marasigan has Sandwich; Buddy Zabala performs for the Dawn; and Marcus Adoro's Markus Highway

  If it is possible, I wish that I could see them perform together again in a big stage. 

SOURCES:
Sutton, M. (n.d.). The eraserheads. Retrieved on December 03, 2013 from http://www.allmusic.com/artist/the-
           eraserheads-mn0001860858

0 comments:

Post a Comment